How can I get help if I am a domestic violence victim?
Please contact us at 1-888-924-3862 or email email@example.com to learn about your rights and options.
What can I expect when I call CHETNA?
Your call will be answered by a trained advocate, who is there to LISTEN. If you choose to seek help, we can guide you through your options to achieve your goals, emotional or physiological. Your privacy and safety are our top priorities.
What are my legal rights as a victim of domestic violence in the United States?
All people in the United States, regardless of immigration or citizenship status, are guaranteed certain rights under the law including:
- The right to call the police. If you or your child(ren) are in danger or being abused, call 911. The police may arrest your fiancé(e), spouse, partner, or another person if they believe that person has committed a crime. Anyone, regardless of immigration or citizenship status, may report a crime.
- The right to obtain a protective order for you and your child(ren) as a victim of domestic violence. A court-issued protection order or restraining order may tell your abuser not to call, contact or hurt you, your child(ren), or other family members. If your abuser violates the protection order, you can call the police. Applications for protection orders are available at your local District Attorney’s office and at police stations.
- The right to legal separation or divorce without the consent of your spouse.
- The right to ask for custody of your child(ren) and financial support.
- If your abuser accuses you of a crime, you have basic rights, regardless of your immigration or citizenship status, including: the right to talk to a lawyer; the right to not answer questions without a lawyer present; the right to speak in your defense. It is important to talk with both an immigration lawyer and a criminal lawyer.
Information obtained from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
How can I speak to an attorney if I cannot afford one?
If you cannot afford to pay for an attorney, you may qualify for free or low cost legal services. Contact us at 1-888-924-3862 for more information and referrals to attorneys.